Monday, February 4, 2013

Methods I've Used to Save Money (And Why They Didn't Work)

I have a serious budget. Like, no joke.

Here is a list of the methods that I'm currently using:

  • The Birdy
  • Spendful.com
  • Spendbrite.com
  • Budgetsketch.com
  • Pen and paper
  • checkbook register
  • monthly overview
  • bill checklist
  • detailed bill list
  • a spreadsheet
  • a calendar that reminds me of when I get paid, when to review my finances, when I can make major purchases, and when my bills are due. I use Google Calendar. 
  • the envelope system
  • "Thirty Day" List
I'm incredibly serious about budgeting. When I've fallen in love with a goal, that's when I break out the budgeting techniques. 

In the past, I've used a few other budgeting techniques. I'll give you an overview of them, the pros and cons, and reasons why they didn't work for me. And if I'm giving them a second chance, I'll tell you why....

Checkbook Register:
The run of the mill register that comes with the checkbook. I highly recommend ordering checks, fyi. Even though they're becoming obsolete, there are still some people who refuse to go digital with their accounts. My mother, for example. I've written her at least two or three checks in the last six months. I also used a check to pay my recruitment fee when I decided to go Greek. Sometimes, it's just easier to write a check. Just, make sure you log it in your register. And make sure you keep your register up to date...
  • PROS: This forces you to have intimate knowledge of your spending habits. This is great for someone who just whips out their debit or credit card to make purchases, because they still have to look at that receipt. And then make calculations. And then they get to wince at the fact that they just spent $4 on a latte and now they have less than $10 left in their account. 
  • CONS: This isn't automated, so you don't HAVE to use it. Forgetfulness can lead to over drafting. Some people just don't have the willpower to log their transactions after they've reached a low amount in their account. For me, it was always when I hit below $15 in my checking account. 
  • WHY THIS DIDN'T WORK FOR ME: I just didn't have the willpower to keep track of my expenses after my account reached a low level. I also thought that my time was too important to sit down for 60 seconds to log a transaction. 
  • WHY I'M GIVING THIS A SECOND CHANCE: I have run my account to below one dollar before. I can never do this again. To help my with my will power, I've asked a friend to go over my finances each month to hold me accountable. If I don't log something, the guilt will eat at me. And this is what will keep me logging even those polar pops I sometimes pay for with my debit card. 
MINT: 
An online application that helps you keep track of your goals and transactions and even places them in categories. 
  • PROS: It keeps track of your goals and gives you advice on your next financial step. It divides your transactions into categories. And it automatically logs your transactions, so you can't lie to yourself. It is also kind enough to help you make a budget and send out a weekly email to help you keep track of your finances. It also keeps track of your net worth. Oh. And it's free. And it allows for mobile access.
  • CONS: It doesn't place your transactions in the proper category. I once had a food transaction at Wal Mart be placed under "gas." It also asks for your account information. And lastly, if you have a credit card at the same bank as one of your checking accounts, it states that you already have an account set up at this bank. However, it let me set up a checking account and a savings account at the same bank. 
  • WHY THIS DIDN'T WORK FOR ME: Pretty much every con listed. I found the fact that I would have to go through and properly categorize expenses that were improperly placed to be rather tedious. And if I had to spend time on categorization, then I might as well do it in my own fashion. 
MEMORY: 
Using your memory to keep track of your expenses. Many people choose to take this route. 
  • PROS: There are none. Whatsoever. 
  • CONS: Where to begin...? Failing memory, the ability to lie to yourself, the little transactions no one thinks about, human error in math... I mean, the list can go on and on. 
  • WHY THIS DIDN'T WORK FOR ME: All of those cons. I ended up having to take money out of my savings to pay my credit card bill. That's not what my savings is for. I've had to do this more than once. My savings has been zeroed out. 
ONLINE BANKING: 
If your bank offers mobile banking, this is another great tool for keeping track of your transactions. 
  • PROS: This is your bank's records. You can ask to have your monthly statement emailed to you, you can access other bank services, you can place a stop on your account.... The list goes on and on.
  • CONS: Sometimes these can be difficult to navigate. 
  • WHY THIS DIDN'T WORK FOR ME: I had a tendency to just glaze over my monthly statements. This really didn't help me accomplish my goal of keeping track of my spending. 
And there it is. My current methods and my past methods for keeping track of my goals, budget, and where my money has gone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment